Thursday, December 31, 2009
For this experiment we collected several objects from around the room. We hung a basket from a spring scale, and asked the children to make predictions about what items they thought weighed the most. After making their predictions, the children put the items in the basket and the teacher helped them read the results on the spring scale.
After reading the book SPLASH! by Ann Jonas the children made pictures similar to those found in the book. First they glued a picture of themselves onto their paper. Next they used markers to draw a picture. Next, they dictated a story to the teacher about what was going on in their picture.
Our story books for the week of October 12th to October 16th, for our theme of Number Stories were:
First we gave the children a photograph of themselves to glue to their paper. Then, the children used paper punches to cut out various shapes. The children then glued the shapes to their paper to make it look like they were balancing objects on their heads like in the book Ten Apples Up On Top.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Our story books for the week of October 7th to October 9th for our theme of Number Stories were:
On this day we planned a field trip to go to a Build A Bear Workshop to get a new classroom bear. On the day before, the children voted on which style of bear we would build. When we got to the Build A Bear Workshop, the children helped stuff the bear, gave her a pretend bath, and decided on the name Isabella for our new bear.
For this activity we gave the children a piece of fabric cut into the shape of a bear, some buttons, ribbons, string, and smaller pieces of fabric. The children used glue to add accessories to their bear to decorate it. Afterwards, each child gave their bear a name.
Here is a list of the books our class read for the week of September 28th to October 2nd.
All of these books related to our theme of Number Stories:
Sunday, September 20, 2009
A simple graphing activity on this day. The children were asked if they like or dislike spiders. The children who liked spiders put a smiley face on the graph. The children who did not like spiders put a unhappy face on the graph. After all of the children had made their choice, the entire class helped count how many liked or disliked spiders.
For this activity we showed the children an assortment of photos of household items. The children had to identify which items were potential burn hazards. The children marked the burn hazards by putting a picture of a flame on the picture of the item.
For this activity the children cut out pictures of shoes, and people wearing shoes, from magazines. They glued the photos onto their paper to make a shoe collage. We had some shoe pictures already cut out for the children that weren't ready for scissor use.
The children planted flower seeds for this activity. They measured out the amount of soil and water to use and then added them to planting cups along with the flower seeds. We'll see how well these flowers grow in our classroom
For this activity the names of flowers were spelled out on a piece of paper with a picture of the flower. The children used faux flower petals with letters written on them to spell out the names of the flowers. They matched up the letters on the petals with the letters on the paper. A good letter matching and letter recognition skill.
Saturday, September 19, 2009
Our story book for September 16th was Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary by Lynn Salem. In this very short version of the traditional Nursery Rhyme, Mary plants different types of seeds in her garden. One of the seeds grows into a beanstalk.
The children made a home made instrument at the woodworking table on this day. First they used the hand drill to make pilot holes in the wood.
Next they inserted screw eye bolts into the wood.
Next, rubber bands were attached to all of the screw eye bolts to make a string instrument.
On this day the children decorated paper hats. We have them each a folded paper hat and let them decorate it with markers. After they were finished decorating the hat with markers, they used scotch tape to attach feathers to the hats.